Paul Troger e gli affreschi di palazzo Firmian

L'affresco di Paul Troger che rappresenta "Ercole che saetta gli uccelli stinfalidi"

Nell'ottocento il palazzo Firmian passò in mani private (Chini e poi Martinelli) e fu anche trasformato in locanda. In seguito fu utilizzato come residenza privata fino all'acquisto da parte del comune nel 1985. In occasione del restauro sono stati studiati in modo approfondito gli aspetti storici e artistici del palazzo, evidenziandone l'importanza.

PAUL TROGER AND THE FRESCOES OF PALAZZO FIRMIAN

In the 19th century, the ownership of Palazzo Firmian passed into private hands (the Chini and then Martinelli families) and was also converted into an inn. It was later used as a private residence until the Municipality bought it in 1985. During the recent work, the historical and artistic aspects were studied in detail and its relevance was pointed out.

In particular, it was possible to identify Paul Troger (1698 - 1762) from the South Tyrol as the painter of the frescoes on the second floor of the building.

Following the initial assessment of the style by Bruno Passamani, authorship was confirmed by the painter’s signature, identified on one of the frescoes. The frescoes of Mezzocorona date back to the artist’s first period of activity (end of the first two decades of the century) and, although they show some differences in the form and technique, they prove that the painter had already come into direct contact with Venetian painting and had practised at the atelier of the Fiemme School.

The cycle is quite consistent and is clearly linked to the height of the Firmian Family’s fortunes and to the figure of Francesco Alfonso: the purpose of enhancing the renown of the family is evident in several paintings with a mythological theme (“Apoteosi della Famiglia Firmian nell'Olimpo”; “Trionfo di Amore sul destino e sulla Morte”; “Bellerofonte in sella a Pegaso trafigge la Chimera”; “Ercole saetta gli uccelli Stinfalidi”; “San Michele Arcangelo sconfigge il drago”).

The building boasts a number of remarkable elements: worth mentioning are the Swiss stone pine wall coverings in the rooms on the first floor, the 18th-century fireplaces and Flemish tapestries, the majolica-tiled stoves from the 17th and 18th century and the Troger altar piece with the Adoration of the Magi in the chapel (mid-18th century).

Giovedì, 30 Aprile 2015 - Ultima modifica: Lunedì, 20 Marzo 2017